Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Books, Readers, and Beyond, #52

EXERCISE #1



I searched Novelist Plus for one of my favorite books, What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman. The results were 4 authors, who write mysteries and detective stories. Only one of the authors had written a similar book, S.J. Rozan. What the Dead Know is more of a suspense, psychological fiction so the results I got from Novelist were not what I was looking for.



I, then, search What Should I Read Next, and I found these results to be exactly what I was looking for. They gave me specific titles that appeared to be very similar to Laura Lippman's book.



I searched Fiction_L Booklists. I didn't find this site helpful for finding similar titles. It does look like it would be very useful for people looking for books with certain character types, like pioneer women, strong southern women, or my favorite, desperate housewives.



I think all of these sites will be useful for Reader's advisory, and I plan to bookmark them.

EXERCISE #2

I used Mid-Continent Publi Library's site for series for children. I did a subject search for animals, then found animal tales to find the book, Fight For Life by Laurie Anderson, part of the Wild at Heart series. This book is about an 11 year old girl helping to rescue sick puppies. I also found The Storm by Cynithia Rylant, part of the Lighthouse Family series about 4 animals who live together.

For the 13 year old boy, I used the same site and searched ghosts, but I didn't find anything suitable for a teen boy. Then I search Paranormal and found the book, Dread Locks by Neal Shusterman about a 14 year old boy who meets a girl and begins to absorb some of her powers. I also found Hungry Ghosts by Ellen Steiber from the X-File series.

EXERCISE #3

I used Fiction_L Booklists and found the author Dan Simmons. Using Novelist, I found the authors Greg Bear and John Saul.

EXERCISE #4

I used the What's Next site. First I searched by title and the first book in the series to get the series title. Then, I put in the series title to get the books in order:

Book 1 Alanna: the First Adventure
Book 2 In the Hand of the Goddess
Book 3 Woman who Rides like a Man
Book 4 Lioness Rampant.

No comments: