Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Books, Readers, and Beyond # 53

EXERCISE # 1

I looked at the online sites of the three bookstores located in Katy, where I live.

Katy Budget Books
Their site is o.k. Their special events caught my attention first. They also have lists, like award lists, and they have staff recommendations. I didn't see a place to search for the books they have in their store, but you can search books and order them online. I assume they order them for you. This store also sell used books, but I couldn't find out what their trade in consists of.

Bookworm Shop
The Bookworm shop is a small bookstore in Katy that also sells used books, as well as new books and related book items. Their policy on trade ins was easy to find. It is a very nice website for such a small store. It was very easy to navigate, but you can't search for books on their site.

Books A Million
Books A Million is a big chain store, so their site is very well done. It is easy to navigate and see what they have available.

EXERCISE #2

I searched for the book Uses of Enchantment by Heidi Julavits. This was one of the books that was recommended by What I Should Read Next. I searched Books A Million and found the book was available in hardback for $18.28, on CD for $31.23, and as an audio download for $24.99. I also searched Amazon and our database, but I did not find an eBook version.

EXERCISE #3

I very easily logged into Net Library and registered. Then I decided to check out a book from HCPL's digital books. I checked out Wanted by Shelley Gray. However, I hit a snag when I couldn't download the software to read the book from an HCPL computer. I downloaded the software on my home computer and read some of the book. I think if I had a laptop or better yet one of the reading devices, I would have enjoyed reading the book more. I do not like sitting at a desk when I read. I much prefer my recliner, where I can get very comfortable and get into my book. I have tried Amazon's Kindle during a demo I attended, and I might be o.k. reading from one of those. My eyes do get tired of reading from a computer screen, so I still prefer reading from the printed page.

No comments: