Saturday, April 11, 2009

Money & Finance #58 Banking, Budgeting, and Spending

1) My bank has been offering online banking for free for several years. I love the ease of online banking. Both of my college age children use the same bank, and it is very easy to transfer funds to their accounts. I can also easily transfer to my investment accounts with another company. Bill paying can be done with a click of a button. One thing I don't like is all of the e-mails they send me about services they offer that I am not interested in, but they can be easily deleted.



I honestly did not know what safeguards the bank offers, so I went online to check it out. They offer 100% coverage of funds that may be taken out of your account unauthorized. One thing that I do is I change my password every 6 months or so, and I'm very careful about giving out any personal information. I didn't even give the name of my bank in this blog. :)

2) I looked at the 3 budgeting websites and decided I liked Expensr. I signed up, and I think it's something I would like to continue to use. I really like the graphs. It gives you a very visual picture of what your expenses are. I set up a budget, and it gives you a nice bar graph, showing if you are staying within your budget. I will be curious to see how my graphs look after I have completed my expenses for the month. This is a very useful website.

3) I took the quiz, "DO YOU HAVE A SPENDING PROBLEM?". I scored very high for not having a problem, but I have always been very "tight" with my money. My parents were products of the depression, and my dad was from a very poor, but happy family. I learned to save from them. I was also a single mother of two, and we all know what a librarian's salary is like. I already do almost all of the things the article suggested for saving money. I always buy generic store brands and generic drugs. I have a high deductible on my insurance, and I pay off my credit card (only one) monthly. I knew about keeping your tires inflated to help save on gas, but I don't keep up with that as much as I should. I will try to do that more in the future.

No comments: