Monday, October 22, 2007

Week 7 #16

I think wikis are really neat. I have often used wikipedia to get basic information on a topic, but I really didn't know much about wikis. I knew anyone could edit the information, but I didn't realize how easy it was to do until I added my favorite book and restaurant to the hcpl wiki.

I really liked SJCPL's wiki. This type of wiki for a library would be very useful. A library could put the subjects that their patrons often ask for on their wiki. Links to the catalog with a visual of the book cover are a very nice touch. I believe our customers would find a wiki subject guide more useful than searching the catalog, especially for common, popular topics.

I can also see where wikis would be very helpful for planning a conference or big meeting. It would cut down on phone calls and meetings.

No comments: